Wednesday, October 21, 2015

August 4, 2015
Today was the big day to be set apart as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. President Raines asked some of us to express our thoughts and give any needed advice. He then set Shayna apart as a missionary and asked her to give her thoughts and ask any questions she'd like. It was a beautiful evening. G-ma and G-pa Larsen and G-ma Larsen came. It was very special to share the time together.

What a special blessing you received as well as counsel from Pres. Raines. He has the love of the Lord with him and it is evident in how he works with people and treats them. The main take aways from that meeting were these: Our Heavenly Father is very mindful of you and wants nothing more than to bless you. Listen to the promptings of the Spirit and follow them. Be obedient to all of His commandments and mission rules. It will not only bless you but also the people that you serve. Study well and be prayerful in your study. It reminds me of the saying that says that we should pray as if everything depends on the Lord and work as if everything depends on us. In an Oct. 1997 Conference, Elder Russell M. Nelson said that he often heard President Gordon B. Hinckley say, "I don't know how to get anything done except getting on my knees and pleading for help and then getting on my feet and going to work." 
I wish that I was caught up on my journal enough and that I came right home that night and wrote everything down. I remember feeling the love of the Lord for you and for each of us. I remember being happy for you and for your bright future. I remember feeling thankful that you get this great opportunity. 
Lauren remembers Pres. Raines saying that you have a very sweet testimony and not to get caught up in the nitty gritty - no pun intended. 
Don't neglect the simple things of the Gospel, they're often very big rocks (ie: personal prayer, scripture study, church attendance, service.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment